Background Check Errors Could Keep You Unemployed

Background Check Errors Can Cause Unemployment

So you have applied for a new job and are now anxiously awaiting the final offer. You know they are just doing a routine background check and once they get it back the job is yours. No worries….right?

Even if you do not have a criminal history, you should be concerned about what may show up on your pre-employment background report. Unfortunately, background checks commonly have mistakes. These mistakes may be due to something a s simple as the same name as someone else, the same city, transposed numbers or letters. These small mistakes could cause serious damage. That is why we have the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), that helps protect us from negligent background check, and consumer reporting companies.

Common Issues with Background Checks

One big issue with background check companies is that many of them care more about volume and speed, than accuracy. Most court records do not contain social security numbers and, therefore, go by name and birthdate alone. When gathering information from different databases background check companies don’t always take the time to make sure that all of the information is correct. They could add information to your background check of a person that has the same name and birthdate, but different addresses, and different social security numbers. There have even been some cases where the only similarity was a first name.

Denied A Job Due To Your Background Check

If the employer receives your background check and decides that you are not going to be a good fit and/or revokes your job offer, the employer must give you a copy of that report.
They must also provide you with the following:

  • name, address, and phone number of the company that supplied the report
  • let you know that the company that provided the report had no influence on the decision wether or not to hire you.
  • let you know that you have the right to dispute any information in the report, and you can ask for an additional free report from the company that provided it, within 60 days

Dispute Background Check Errors

If the background report has mistakes, let the employer know that there are mistakes. Then contact the company that issued the report to get the mistakes corrected. Tell the reporting agency in writing what is inaccurate in your report. Send copies of any supporting documentation. The reporting agency should then investigate the mistakes, and correct any inaccuracies.

Hire Consumer Protection Lawyers to Dispute Background Check Errors

If you have tried to dispute errors on your background check and the company that provided the information is not cooperating, it is time to get help. The consumer law firm of Francis Mailman Soumilas, P.C. know exactly what steps to take in order for you to get damaging errors fixed. They will also fight to get you compensation for damages. If this is happening to you, get your free case review now.