CALL NOW: 1-877-735-8600

Dealing With Common Credit Report Errors

Credit Report ErrorsMany consumers know first hand that credit report errors are common and can be harmful to your credit and daily life. According to a study released in 2013 by the FTC, 5% of consumers have credit report errors. Mistakes on your credit report can prevent you from getting a loan or credit, can prevent you from getting housing, and even prevent you from getting a job.

As a consumer you should check your credit report annually to ensure all information being reported is correct. Yearly credit report monitoring also helps you catch signs of identity theft.
Ordering your credit report annually is easy and Free at Here you can get a free copy of your credit report once a year from the three national credit bureaus: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian.

Most Common Credit Report Errors

  • Outdated Information – credit reporting agencies all use their own databases and are updated at different times. If they have not updated their databases, they may be reporting old information that is no longer relevant, and no longer legally allowed to be reported.
  • Clerical Errors – these types of errors are very common and can impact your credit score. Make sure all of your loan and credit types are listed and labeled correctly.
  • Mistaken or Merged Accounts – account information is often mixed up with another person, generally because of similar names and addresses.
  • Identity Theft – victims of identity theft will find accounts opened in their name that they have never heard of or have seen before. It’s important to check your credit report annually to ensure that all accounts being reported are yours.
  • Incorrect Criminal Background Checks – these can be the most damaging type of mistakes. Criminal background check mistakes are generally due to merged or mixed up information due to similar names and addresses. Outdated information is also very common on background checks.
  • Credit Report Says You Are Deceased – this type of credit report error happens most often when a creditor reports an account as associated with a deceased individual or if your Social Security Number was reported as deceased. When this type of mistake happens on your credit report you won’t be able to get a bank account, renew your driver’s license, get health insurance, find an apartment, or participate in many aspects of daily life.
  • OFAC Alert – this alert on a credit report tells a lender or potential employer that the name matches a name on the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list. That is the list of suspected terrorists, drug traffickers, money launderers etc. who are prohibited from doing business in the U.S. If your name is mistakenly added to this list, which unfortunately happens, call us right now for help 1-877-735-8600. We have helped others who have incorrectly had this error on their credit report.

Dispute Credit Report Errors

If you find any incorrect information on your credit report, under the FCRA, you have the right to dispute it. The first step in disputing credit report errors is to contact the company that issued the credit report. They may offer an online dispute form. If not or if you want to write a credit report dispute letter.

Tips for Mailing a Credit Report Dispute
Make sure to include COPIES (do not send originals) of any documents that you may have to prove that what they have reported is an error.
Make a copy of the letter for your records.
Send the letter certified mail so that someone has to sign for your letter and you will have record of when it was received.
Keep records of all contact with the credit reporting agency.
The credit reporting agency will have 30 days to respond to your dispute and correct any errors.

Credit Report Errors? Click Here for a Free Case Review

Francis Mailman Soumilas, P.C. Fights Back Against Common Credit Report Errors

Francis Mailman Soumilas, P.C. has helped thousands of consumers with credit report errors that go ignored. We know the laws, we know your rights, and we will fight for you. Fill out our form for a free case review or call us now at 1-877-735-8600 to see if you have a case. Get free expert legal advice with no obligation and no out-of-pocket costs to you.

Free Case Review

Subscribe for regular updates.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Once you submit this form a representative from the law firm of Francis Mailman Soumilas, P.C. will be in touch.
Or Call 1-877-735-8600 and get immediate help to see if you have a case.

More on Credit Report Errors

Francis Mailman Soumilas, P.C.








Protecting Consumer Rights Nationwide for Over 26 Years

Expert legal advice, private consultation, no obligation
If you do have case, there is no out-of-pocket cost to you.